my life source and sustainer is Jesus Christ

Thursday, February 21, 2013

snowy day





        I love how snow transforms the familiar landscape.  This is a street in our neighborhood during our really big snow storm a couple years ago.  I sketch in pencil first on a sanded paper.  Then I pick out most of the colors I plan to use.  I have hundreds of pastels (it's my one weakness), so it's easier to have them at the ready.  This composition uses only white, several values of a grayish purple and a little red.
      There was initially going to be a fire hydrant for the red element but that did not work out.   Instead I used the cluster of oak leaves as a bit of red.  It's always so maddening how the oaks hang on to some of their leaves and drop them in the spring but for once it was helpful. 




No comments: